In response of continuous mobilization of Aila victims the government has formed a High level Monitoring committee to oversee and continuous guidance for reconstruction work of cyclone Aila damaged embankments of Khulna and Satkhira districts.
The committee chaired by honourable State Minister for Ministry of Labour and Employment Begum Monnuzan Sufian sit in a meeting on last 28 November 2010 with presence of honourable MP of Khulna-6 Advocate Sohrab Ali Sana, MP of Khulna-1 Nani Gopal Mondal, MP of Satkhira-3 Mr. Golam Reza, Superintendent Engineer of Bangladesh Water Development Board (BWDB) Mr. Gias Uddin Ahmed, Executive Engineer Mosaddeque Hossain, Anowarul Islam, Deputy Commissioner of Khulna District Mr. Jamsher Alam Khandakar and other government officials. Among others Aila Durgoto Sanghati Mancho member secretary Hasan Mehedi and important national and local journalists were present there. Some of the Contractors were also present there.
The first meeting of the committee decided to complete the reconstruction work within December 2010 by any cost. The Minister ordered the BWDB staffs to monitor the embankment reconstruction works more intensively. She requested all of the journalists and civil society leaders to help Government to provide adequate support to the Aila affected areas. She paid her special thanks to the NGO leaders who are involved in repairing of the embankments. The Minister asked BWDB officials about their present problems and expressed her commitment to fulfil the needs.
The meeting decided to supply three excavators and five cranes from Dhaka to Aila affected Dacope, Koyra and Shyamnagar within 10 December 2010. The meeting also decided to form 3 local committees led by 3 local MPs.
Committee to monitor Reconstruction Works
1. Chair: Begum Monnuzan Sufian, State Minister for Ministry of Labour and Employment
2. Member: Talukdar Abdul Khaleque, Mayor, Khulna City Corporation
3. Member: Advocate Sohrab Ali Sana, Member of Parliament, Khulna-6
4. Member: Nani Gopal Mondal, Member of Parliament, Khulna-1
5. Member: Golam Reza, Member of Parliament, Satkhira-3
6. Member: Gias Uddin Ahmed, Superintendent Engineer, BWDB, Khulna Division
7. Member: Jamsher Alam Khandokar, Deputy Commissioner, Khulna District